Bill Clinton, R. Kelly And The Importance Of Keeping It Real (Or Why Reese Witherspoon’s Career Is In Trouble)
Whether she realizes it or not, Oscar winner Reese Witherspoon's career may be in trouble.
I wasn't even looking for them.
Now it used to be that the fact that some Hollywood person was actually a bitch when the cameras was off wouldn't surprise or matter.
But not anymore.
If you want to last these days you have to be real.
Case in point. R. Kelly.
Now it baffles folks who only know of R. Kelly because of the song "I Believe I Can Fly" that he still has a career despite having 21 counts of child pornography against him.
To understand why you have to realize some things. Fans (not audiences) want to know everything about you. They are the ones who scrape the internet and buy all the magazines about you.
Let's take a look at R. Kellys career from a fans perspective…
1992: R. Kelly and Public Announcement debut with "Born into the '90s."
• 1993-94: Strip club staples "Sex Me, Pts. 1- 2," "Bump `n' Grind" and "Your Body's Callin" from the No. 1 album "12 Play" make Kelly the Lothario of urban music.
Produces Aaliyah's "Age Ain't Nothing But a Number"; secretly marries the 15-year-old R & B sensation who is more than 10 years his junior. The marriage is annulled.
• 1997: The 1996 single "I Believe I Can Fly" (from the Michael Jordan/Looney Tunes flick "Space Jam") wins three Grammys.
• 1998: Releases double album, "R." Reportedly settles a hush-hush civil suit involving sex with an underage girl.
• 2002: The Chicago Sun-Times uncovers a video of Kelly reportedly having sex with a 14-year-old girl.
A bootleg compilation video of various Kelly sex tapes called "R. Kelly Triple-X" is peddled online and on major U.S. city street corners.
• 2003: Seven of the 21 charges against Kelly are dropped.
• 2004:Decade-old footage (yep, another sex tape) of Kelly surfaces.
• 2006: Kelly wins the Stevie Wonder Award for Outstanding Career Achievement at the 2006 Soul Train Awards.
Did you notice anything about that fan retrospective?
Before you answer, let me give you another example.
Ever heard of Bill Clinton?
Have you ever wondered why half of the country did not care one iota about his sex scandal and to this day still support him?
Because they were not surprised.
No one is surprised when a snake acts like a snake.
But if a snake starts acting like a bear then we have a problem.
Republicans were wasting their time finding scandals about Bill Clinton. We Democrats already knew he was dirty.
The man went on 60 minutes about sex before he got elected for his first term.
The strategy to attack him changed few votes and made his supporters more entrenched.
R. Kelly fans knew he was a sexual freak from his first song.
Are they surprised to find out he had sex with a 14 year old?
The man married Aaliyah when she was only 15.
His fans were not surprised so they keep buying his records.
Reese Witherspoon on the other hand…Explore posts in the same categories: Army Of One, bill clinton, gossip, music, new media, reese withspoon